Sunday 29 April 2007

Post Number 50!!

All things considered it’s been a fairly relaxed couple of days. Work has been fairly busy but when I think of my previous life in Malta, it’s a doddle. I noticed on the Times of Malta website that HSBC had their AGM recently. That brought back loads of happy memories. I wonder how this year’s corporate video turned out. Really, I do wonder … honest!!

I also got round to conducting my second interview, with Luke Akehurst, who is the Labour whip on the Hackney Council. There were some striking differences between his thoughts and those I heard on Tuesday. There were also some surprising similarities considering the completely different nature and background of the two men. Hopefully, there will be more opinions added to the mix over the next week. I might then be bale to start making some general observations about the perception of politicians on the potential of new media.

Clare’s still got a few projects to finish off before she starts her dissertation work. While she does that, I’m being left with quite a bit of time to kill. I’ve used it to finally finish reading Andrew Marr’s My Trade. I should have read it all before I wrote my last essay but there just aren’t enough hours in the day. I’ve also started reading Christopher Meyer’s book on his time as UK Ambassador in Washington between 1997 and 2003. It should be interesting!

I also got round to watching Chariots Of Fire. It’s a film that’s been on my to watch list for about 20 years. Why? Well, it’s because of the Eltham College connection, which is where Eric Liddell studied. The building I spent my teenage years in was called Eric Liddell House so I’ve kind of always felt morally obliged to watch the film. Now, at last I have although, of course, it didn’t really tell me anything I didn’t know already. Still, it’s always fascinating to see, and think about, characters of such principled convictions.

Last thought … West Ham might actually really survive! Great win yesterday and considering Arsenal’s win today and the news from Bolton, it’s actually starting to look genuinely possible. That said, we’ll probably concede four next week.

1 comment:

Luke Akehurst said...

Good to meet you last week.